At New Journey, there are a number of ways for you to serve. From participating in the Food for Kidz food pack, assisting with Sunday worship, serving on a committee or prayer team, there’s something for everyone – new to faith or seasoned Christian. There’s a place for you and we hope you will jump in!
- Arrive 30 minutes before service.
- Welcome guests, directing them to fill out a name tag
- Proceed up center aisle to get offering places from the altar
- Start one plate at the front right and front left row
- Collect the plates at the back rows and stack them on the altar
- Usher people to communion from the center – front right row to back right row and then from the center left row to the back left row
Scripture Reader – Read Scripture lessons and recite Psalm responsively
- Scripture readers will receive a printed copy or emailed attachment of the lessons and Psalm
- Make sure the button on the microphone is pushed up to turn it on – raise the microphone as needed to speak directly into it
- Turn the microphone off before you return to your seat
Communion Assistant – serve wine during communion – “this is the blood of Christ, shed for you”
- Begin on Pastor’s left as the right side of the church come forward
- Move to Pastor’s right as the left side of the church comes forward
- Follow the pastor to serve communion to any that are not able to come forward
Fellowship Refreshments – Provide and serve refreshments for fellowship
Love to bake but don’t want to eat it all? New Journey Lutheran is well known for its great bakers and warm fellowship. The fellowship time is held following Sunday worship.
Coffee, Tea, Juice or Water
- Fill back coffee pot receptacle with water
- Coffee (1/3 cup per carafe) and filters are located under the sink
- Fill tea pot with water and turn on all pots
- May be purchased from store
- May include fruit, bars, cookies, cheese, etc.
- Set table with plates, napkins, and silverware if needed
- Turn off coffee and tea pots – empty any left over
- Clean up area after serving
Click here to see a list of the Committee Chairs.
Volunteers set up communion elements, change candles, paraments and wall hangings for different seasons of the church year, procure necessary worship items (candles, communion wafers, wine/juice, etc.).
The purpose of this committee is to plan and present educational opportunities to inform, inspire, and motivate church and community members. Opportunities include Bible study, book studies and videos. Discussion among attendees is an integral part of all educational offerings.
Food for Kidz
This is an annual event held at the Fountain Hills Community Center. Approximately 80,000 meals are packed in a two hour time period by volunteers from churches and other members of the Fountain Hills community. The steering committee organizes the event, oversees the writing of newspaper articles, publicity, grants, and general fundraising.
Ongoing care for our space is provided by a group of volunteers.
Worship and Music
This committee meets regularly to plan worship services, select hymns, and special music. The committee decides how music and liturgy will be styled for the different liturgical seasons of the year.
The New Journey Prayer Team consists of individuals who confidentially offer prayer for those experiencing life’s challenges.
Sew Journer Quilters
Join the quilters on Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. as they sort and cut fabric, lay out designs, thread needles, tie knots, and finish the quilts. Quilts are currently being donated to the Transitional Living division of the Native American Connections in Phoenix and those in need.