At New Journey, there are a number of ways for you to serve. From participating in the Food for Kidz food pack, assisting with Sunday worship, serving on a committee or prayer team, there’s something for everyone – new to faith or seasoned Christian. There’s a place for you and we hope you will jump in!
Click below for additional details on just a few of the opportunities to serve:
Greeter and Usher
Welcome all the guests who come to church, handing the guest a bulletin and directing them toward the name tags.
- Arrive 30 minutes before service
- Welcome all the guests who come to church, handing the guest a bulletin and directing them toward the name tags
- Proceed up center aisle to get offering plates from the altar.
- Start one plate at the front right & left rows
- Collect the plates at the back rows and stack them on the altar
- Usher people to communion from the center (front right row to back right row and then front left row to back left row)
Read Scripture lessons and recite Psalm responsively.
Scripture Readers will receive a printed copy or emailed attachment of the Bible lessons and will use the insert of their bulletin to read the Psalm responsively. The microphone on the lectern is very directional and should be close to your mouth, speaking into it as if it were a lollipop.
Assisting the pastor, serve wine or grape juice during communion.
Communion Assistants are scheduled weekly.
• Serve wine during communion (“this is the blood of Christ, shed for you”)
o Begin on Pastor’s left as the right side of church comes forward
o Move to Pastor’s right as the left side of the church comes forward
o Follow the pastor to serve communion to any that are not able to come forward
o Serve Pastor communion
Bread – “this is the body of Christ, given for you”
Wine – “this is the blood of Christ, shed for you”
Provide and serve refreshments for Sunday fellowship.
Love to bake but don't want to eat it all? New Journey Lutheran is well known for its great bakers and warm fellowship. The fellowship time is held following Sunday worship.
Coffee, Tea, Juice or Water
- Fill back coffee pot receptacle with water
- Coffee (1/3 C per carafe) and filters are located under sink
- Fill tea pot with water and turn on both coffee pots and tea pot
- May include fruit, bars, cookies, cheese, etc.
- Set table with plates, napkins, and silverware if needed
- Turn off coffee pots and tea pot, empty
- Clean up area after serving
Weekly clean the church, usually on Saturday after the week's events are over.
Are you a neat and tidy person? Do you like to make our church clean for worship and the week's activities with our congregation and community. Cleaning needs to be done weekly, usually on Saturday after all weekly events are over. Supplies are in the cabinet in the Fellowship area.
- Mop floors, especially around the fellowship area, doors, and restrooms
- Vacuum carpets
- Clean toilets and sinks
- Dust – altar, lectern, candle holder, keyboard area, window sills
- Mop or use floor scrubber as needed, especially around kitchen sink, serving table and coffee table
- Set up coffee for Sunday (fill with water, put in filters & coffee grounds – do NOT turn on)
Volunteers set up communion elements, change candles, paraments and wall hangings for different seasons of the church year, procure necessary worship items (candles, communion wafers, wine/juice, etc.).
Education (Denny Rubenow, Chairperson)
The purpose of this committee is to plan and present educational opportunities to inform, inspire, and motivate church and community members. Opportunities include Bible study, book studies and videos. Discussion among attendees is an integral part of all educational offerings.
Food for Kidz (Dave & Leslie Bubke, Chairpersons)
This is an annual event held at the Fountain Hills Community Center. Approximately 80,000 meals are packed in a two hour time period by volunteers from churches and other members of the Fountain Hills community. The steering committee organizes the event, oversees the writing of newspaper articles, publicity, grants, and general fundraising.
Outreach (Len Pameditis, Chairperson)
New Journey has established a presence at the Fountain Hills "Art on the Avenue" to increase our church's visibility in Fountains Hills. Volunteers are needed Thursdays, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m from November through April. Members of the Fountain Hills community are greeted, information about New Journey is shared, and an invitation to join us for worship is given.
Property (Steve Brady, Chairperson)
In 2017, New Journey's worship and fellowship space was expanded and renovated. Ongoing care for our space is provided by a group of volunteers.
Worship & Music (Ann Taylor, Chairperson)
This committee meets regularly to plan worship services, select hymns, and special music. The committee decides how music and liturgy will be styled for the different liturgical seasons of the year.
The New Journey Prayer Team consists of individuals who confidentially offer prayer for those experiencing life's challenges.
Sew Journer Quilters
Join the quilters on Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m. as they sort and cut fabric, lay out designs, thread needles, tie knots, and finish the quilts. Quilts are currently being donated to the Transitional Living division of the Native American Connections in Phoenix and those in need.